[FWTools] FWTools3 Experiment

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Dec 18 02:05:47 EST 2010

Even / Eli,

Thanks for your feedback.  I'd also appreciate feedback
from folks with older redhat or ubuntu distributions or
Gentoo, Suse, etc.  I'm doing my development on CentOS 5.3 & 5.5
and testing on my Ubuntu 10.04 system.

On 10-12-16 04:14 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Very cool initiative.
>
> I've just tested the FWTools3-linux-x86_64.tar.gz package on Ubuntu 10.04
> 64bit. It works great.
>
> What I have noticed :
>
> 1) Expat support is not built. This would be a nice improvement to have KML,
> GPX, GEORSS support. I see also libmysqlclient, libsqlite3, libogdi around,
> but not used by libgdal.so

I now have this properly enabled for 32 and 64bit.

> 2) I have is with PostgreSQL connections to Unix socket. On my system, the
> libpq (8.4) tries to open the socket in /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432
> whereas with FWTools3 it tries to open /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 which does not
> exist. Adding host=127.0.0.1 to connect through TCP works however.

I haven't worked out what to do about this.  I'll investigate further.

> I've also tried the FWTools3-linux-i386.tar.gz package on the same system. It
> almost worked at the first try. Most missing 32bit libs were found in
> /usr/lib32 thanks to the compat 32 libs packages. I just needed to find
> libgif.so.4 and add it (whereas libgif is included in the x86_64 package). The
> i386 package has working expat and sqlite, and almost working ogdi. Almost
> working because the "plugins" of OGDI located in ./usr/lib/ogdi must be moved
> in ./usr/lib to be found

Possibly I had fixed giflib after preparing the 3.0.0 snapshot since it
seemed ok here.  I've double checked and it seems ok now.

I have setup the 64bit package to properly use expat and sqlite3.

I have added the lib/ogdi directory to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
confirmed that ogdi at least minimally works.

I have mysql support on both platforms.

> On a CentOS 5.4 32bit, I add to install the unixODBC package to get libodbc.so
> that is needed by the FWTools3-linux-i386.tar.gz package package.

I have removed odbc.  I don't find it very useful on linux, and I was a bit
concerned about the complexity.  If folks think it is pretty useful on linux
let me know and I'll re-add it.

I have also modified my scripts so that "gdalinfo --version" will also
include the FWTools version and report the date things were built.

New packages at:

   http://home.gdal.org/fwtools/FWTools-linux-i686-3.0.1.tar.gz
   http://home.gdal.org/fwtools/FWTools-linux-x86_64-3.0.1.tar.gz