[FWTools] FWTools3 Experiment

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Dec 18 16:18:42 EST 2010

On 10-12-18 12:32 PM, Eli Adam wrote:
> Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit installs fine.
>
> gdalinfo works fine.
>
> Are python tools like rgb2pct.py suppose to work from the command line?
>   For me, it doesn't seem to work when just typing it on the command
> line.  locate rgb2pct.py doesn't find anything either.

Eli,

Ah, my mistake.  When I restructured how I handle the python bindings for
FWTools I accidentally lost installing these scripts.  Fixed now.

On 10-12-18 08:24 AM, Even Rouault wrote:
 > I've done new tests with the new packages :
 >
 > * CentOS 4.7 32bit : no way to make it work. FWTools requires glibc 2.5,
 > whereas CentOS 4 only ships with glibc 2.3

Even,

Right, not much that can be done about this.  I investigated having the
install.sh script identify if glibc 2.5 is available, but that was messy.
And the error when trying to run something without glibc2.5 seems reasonably
clear.

In the past I deliberately built on a very old system to avoid depending
on a recent glibc version but this is not practical given my use of
outside rpms for many components.

 > * Mandriva 2009.1 32 bit : OK. Except an error message while loading the
 > python interpreter without any argument. It tries to load the readline module
 > which fails, but this doesn't prevent later loading and running of GDAL python
 > bindings

Hmm, I haven't encountered this.  I'm not sure what to do about this.
Suggestions are welcome.

 > * Debian Lenny 32 bit : OK. I've noticed that it used an older installation of
 > /usr/lib/ogdi/libvrf.so instead of the one in $FWTOOLS_ROOT/usr/lib/ogdi.

Hmm, I'm not sure why this is.

I will say that I noticed my local system versions of some packages
like libsqlite.so were being used in preference to the ones in FWTools.
I tracked this down to the rpath attribute in various built binaries.
I've added a step to my preparation to strip out rpaths from binaries
and shared libraries.  I documented this on my blog:

   http://fwarmerdam.blogspot.com/

Perhaps that will also address the libvrt issue?

Today I also stripped out some stuff that did not seem necessary to
make the whole package smaller.  Python distutils, some docs and the
distributed .pyc files.  New packages at:

   http://home.gdal.org/fwtools/FWTools-linux-i686-3.0.2.tar.gz
   http://home.gdal.org/fwtools/FWTools-linux-x86_64-3.0.2.tar.gz

I greatly appreciate the alpha testing.