[FWTools] How to distinguish a DTED tile that's accidentally absent, from one that's always absent because it covers only ocean?

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Mon Feb 1 09:17:23 EST 2010

Hello,
I have a problem that isn't specific to FWTools,
but I don't know a better place to ask.

As I understand the DTED format, it comes in
one-degree tiles, one file per tile, but tiles
that cover only ocean - not a single island -
are omitted, because they would contain only zeros.

That may seem reasonable, but of course a file
can also be absent because my particular set of
DTED data does not have worldwide coverage.

Am I right in my understanding of ocean files?

If so, how do I distinguish missing data from
sea-level data?

Any advice would be welcome.

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB