[FWTools] gdal georaster

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 14 11:44:02 EST 2010

Jeff Ruby wrote:
>> In fact it is becoming increasingly likely that I won't be producing any
>> new FWTools releases!  I don't have the old build machine and I'm increasingly
>> inclined to focus on OSGeo4W on windows.
>>

> That's too bad.  I found FWTools to be MUCH easier to setup that
> OSGeo4W.  We just run the exe and we have a working shell with GDAL,
> Python and OpenEV.  You just open the shell and go.  It has the latest
> dev version of GDAL and all the python scripts just work.
>
> I still haven't actually gotten all the same things working with
> OSGeo4W...though I really haven't tried all that hard because I would
> just default back to FWTools.  To do the same think in OSGeo4W seems
> to require a lot more work.  I have to figure out what to click to get
> the latest GDAL, then (I think) I'll have to remap paths so it doesn't
> use the lastest stable version.  I still don't think I've figured out
> how to get the GDAL python scripts to work.  Probably none of that is
> very hard to figure out with a little effort, but
> Setup->Next->Next->...->Done is a lot easier...especially when we're
> doing in on 30+ machines and less knowledgeable folks configuring
> them.
>
> There is a TON of good stuff in OSGeo4W, but it's tough to beat
> simplicity of FWTools for using the latest dev GDAL.

Jeff,

I appreciate your point of view, and I might even produce a "gdal
commandline tools" pre-packaged single installer from the OSGeo4W
packages at some point.  But currently I'm spending fairly little
time on either FWTools or OSGeo4W and I think concentrating what
time I do spend on one would be better.

The existing FWTools will continue to remain available of course.
I'm still using the last (ancient) FWTools for linux on a daily
basis as my OpenEV-on-linux viewer.