[FWTools] gdal_retile errors

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Mar 16 13:44:23 EST 2010

Le Tuesday 16 March 2010 11:45:21 Vincent Neuilly, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
>

> I have noticed a problem with gdal_retile. When I try to run gdal_retile, I
> have the following message :
> "  File "C:\PROGRA~1\FWTOOL~1.7\bin\gdal_retile.py", line 273
>     print("Building internal Index for %d tile(s) ..." % len(inputTiles),
> end=' ')
> "
>
> And if I replace the print line with this one (found somewhere on the web)
> : "print "Building internal Index for %d tile(s) ..." % len(inputTiles),"
> it works.

Yes, this was a side effect of the conversion for compatibility with Python
3.X. This has been fixed recently (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3441),
so the fix will be available in the next FWTools version

> This works for a text file. But when I try to use a VRT file, I have the
> followiing message error:
> "ERROR 1: Parse error at EOF, not all elements have been closed, starting
> with VRTDataset"
>
> And when i try with a TIFF file, I have :
> "ERROR 4: `II*' does not exist in the file system, and is not recognised as
> a supported dataset name."
>
> Commands :
>  - gdal_retile -ps 4000 4000 -targetDir C:\Vincent\TIFF\essai --optfile
> liste.txt (works)
>  - gdal_retile -ps 4000 4000 -targetDir C:\Vincent\TIFF\essai --optfile
> essail93.vrt (ERROR 1)
>  - gdal_retile -ps 4000 4000 -targetDir C:\Vincent\TIFF\essai --optfile
> essail93.tif (ERROR 4)

I think this is expected. The file pointed by --optfile must be a text file
whose content is substituted into the command line. It cannot be a GDAL
dataset, such as a .vrt or .tif file. If you want to specify just one source
file directly, remove the --optfile parameter and just specify the filename.