[FWTools] Large GTiff Images

Gregory Yetman gyetman at ciesin.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 17 15:06:35 EST 2010

Hi,

I have a series of large (~9GB) image tiles, currently stored as .TIL
format tiled GeoTiffs. I need to transform them to a more generic
format, something that plays well with GIS (including ArcGIS) and remote
sensing packages like ENVI. These will be placed on a ftp site or
distributed by DVD to multiple users.

I have two related questions: does anyone have a recommended output
format (preferably supported by FWTools/GDAL), and is there a way to get
around the 4GB file on TIFF files in FWTools? I was thinking of using a
TIFF with compression (LZW, perhaps) but FWTools throws errors because
the output is too large.

Thanks,

Greg