[FWTools] BigTiff problem in experimental FWTools3

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 17 10:09:02 EST 2011

On 11-05-17 06:10 AM, Petteri Packalen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm facing a problem related to BigTiff support in experimental FWTools3 on
> Linux. BigTiff support works fine with all compiled programs (e.g.
> gdal_translate, gdalwarp) but not with the python script gdal_fillnodata.py.
> For instance, executing:
>
> gdal_fillnodata.py -md 10 unfilled.tif filled.tif
>
> is terminated by the message:
>
> ERROR 1: TIFFAppendToStrip:Maximum TIFF file size exceeded
> ERROR 1: An error occured while writing a dirty block
> ERROR 1: TIFFAppendToStrip:Maximum TIFF file size exceeded
>
> I have tested with versions 3.0.2 and 3.0.6 under 32 and 64 bit Ubuntus.
>
> Any hint what is going wrong?

Petteri,

Sorry for the delay in looking into this issue.

I have tested with FWTools 3.0.6 and I do not encounter any problems with
the python scripts and support for big tiff files.  In particular I
created a 4.8GB TIFF file with gdal_translate and then I translated it into
a new file with gdalimport.py without any problem.

I looked into libtiff at the message you are seeing and I believe it only
occurs in libtiff4, so you definately have the BigTIFF enabled TIFF library
being used at runtime.  But should the file be created as a regular TIFF
instead of a BigTIFF and yet it somehow runs over the 4GB mark you will get
this message.

I suspect that this is what is happening, though it is not immediately clear
to me how that would happen in the above situation.  Unfortunately
gdal_fillnodata.py does not provide -co options to pass extra creation options
to the create function or else you could ensure that the output file is created
as a bigtiff (using -co BIGTIFF=YES).

What size is your input file (unfilled.tif)?

I wonder if you could provide steps by which I could reproduce the problem
without having to slug multi GB files around?