[FWTools] Problems with gdal, no modul named _gal (FWtools)

Christian Andersen christianhelring at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 06:09:25 EST 2011

Hi,

I´ve been trying to merge about 10 ecw files into a geotiff using the
gdal_merge.py script. I´ve tried with several versions of FWtools (in
the FWtools shell) and the osgeo distribution (newest version) with
the same result.
I´m getting the error message listed below

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\PROGRA~1\FWTOOL~1.1\bin\gdal_merge.py", line 31, in <module>
    import gdal
  File "C:\PROGRA~1\FWTOOL~1.1\pymod\gdal.py", line 191, in <module>
    import _gdal
ImportError: No module named _gdal

Since I can use the other utilties in the gdal distribution I´m
guessing the error has to do with the python part. Using the FWtools
shell should elimate the problems with not setting the path correctly
or?

Regards,

Christian