[FWTools] Dependency on openssl?

Karl Meissner kmeissner at metavr.com
Mon Aug 20 10:00:32 EST 2012

Hi

I am a developer working on a commercial application that needs to read
and write Esri shape files as part of the our data layer.
A bit of googling led me too OGR and the FWTool distribution.
please for forgive two newbie questions....

Question #1)
Just a parnoid double check... the license seems to say it is fine to
include these libs as part of our commercial product and distribute them
as binaries in our installer.   The libraries will be used as minor
components in a much larger application.
http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal/LICENSE.TXT
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQGeneral#WhatlicensedoesGDALOGRuse

Question #2)
I downloaded and installed FWTools 2.4.7 (Windows 32bit)

Then I tried to write,compile and run the simple C++ sample at
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_apitut.html

I got a runtime error on the very first line

  OGRRegisterAll  <http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr__api_8h.html#ae904632d0bc86ba5501921ca594e18da>();

a popup
"The ordinal 3724 could not be located in the dynamic link library
LIBEAY32.dll"
google seem to indicate that openssl needed to be updated.   WTF?

So yes, when I downloaded and installed the open ssl drivers from
http://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html
the tutorial app runs fine and I can parse a simple shape file.

okaaaaay...
but why does running GIS file convert need openssl at all?
Is something in the lib talking to the network?
I was just reading a sample shp file off the disk.
Is this a dependency that my customers will need to update as well when
they run an instance of the library?