[FWTools] converting mr sid in UTM to GeoTiff in County Coordinates

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Wed Aug 27 16:19:50 EST 2014

Hello,

I would like to know how to use gdal to convert a Mr Sid air photo in UTM 15 to a GeoTiff in County Coordinates (feet).

My original steps include

*         Use ArcGIS to export the MrSID in UTM to a GeoTiff in County Coordinates (feet).

o   This takes care of converting the coordinate system, however at about 4GB, the file size is awfully huge.

*         Use gdal_translate to tile the image.  This also seems to make the file size much more reasonable...  about 280 MB.

o   gdal_translate -CO TILED=YES -CO PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR -CO TFW=YES -CO COMPRESS=JPEG -CO BIGTIFF=YES LincolnFSA2013.tif,  Lin13.tif

*         Use gdaladdo to add internal JPEG overviews.  This adds a small amount of data to the file, but it also makes it MUCH quicker.

Unfortunately, these steps are NOT working.  It appears the coordinates are getting shifted from feet back to meters.  I think it may be possible that gdal_translate is not reading or ignoring  the .tfw file created by ESRI.  Therefore I need to either figure out how to force gdal_translate to read the ESRI world file, or I need to figure out how to figure out how to use only GDAL to create a GeoTiff in County Coordinates from a Mr Sid file in UTM.

If anyone has any tips on how I can use GDAL to convert an air photo in a Mr SID UTM file to a GeoTiff in County Coordinates let me know.  In addition, I would like to also figure out how to remove the black boundary around the edge of the air photos as well.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Mark Volz