[Geotiff] Merging a very large amount of jpeg-files to a tiled jpeg-compressed GeoTiff images

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Dec 17 18:10:39 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm not aware of an easy means of doing that. I could be interested too ;-)
If you want to directly import the compressed jpeg data into the geotiff,
you'd probably want to play with the TIFFWriteRawTile API from libtiff and
become familiar with tif_jpeg.c
You'll also need to find a way to access at a low level to 8x8 compressed JPEG
blocks.
I'm afraid that the whole thing might be quite challenging.

Otherwise, if you can afford decompression & recompression, the easy way would
be using GDAL utilities.