[Geotiff] Encoding of "ETRS89 / ETRS-LAEA" (i.e. EPSG:3035)

Peter Strobl peter.strobl at jrc.it
Fri Jun 6 04:23:38 EDT 2008

Frank,

Thanks for your kind words, they give us some confidence that our
specification is justifiable. For now we will leave it as is.

However, we don't get your point in saying "I still think you would be
better off the ProjectedCSTypeGeoKey to 3035." We would love to do so, but
GeoTiff specs for that Key reserve only the range [20000, 32760] for EPSG
Projection System codes. In no case an EPSG number can be used directly but
the projection has to be identified in a list and the respective number,
which is never the same as the EPSG code has to be used. We don't see the
possibility to set the ProjectedCSTypeGeoKey to any EPSG code. This would
clearly violate the GeoTiff specs and thus jeopardize any attempt of
standardisation. Ideally the GeoTiff specs would be amended, but this seems
a hard thing to do...

Regarding the PROJCS, you are right, it is tweaked. I produced one on
Windows and got the following: 'PROJCS["JRC-EGCS", ...' On Linux
this file was rejected by gdal so to process it further we kicked out all
the '"' stuff. Then it was digested silently. If written by gdal on
Linux we get 'PROJCS["JRC-EGCS", ...' which I guess is what it should look
like.

Best regards & have a nice weekend!

Peter & Pierre