[Geotiff] Encoding of "ETRS89 / ETRS-LAEA" (i.e. EPSG:3035)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 6 09:17:20 EDT 2008

Peter Strobl wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Thanks for your kind words, they give us some confidence that our
> specification is justifiable. For now we will leave it as is.
>
> However, we don't get your point in saying "I still think you would be
> better off the ProjectedCSTypeGeoKey to 3035." We would love to do so, but
> GeoTiff specs for that Key reserve only the range [20000, 32760] for EPSG
> Projection System codes.

Peter,

OK, I see the above comment about the range [20000,32760] being used for
the PCS codes, but that rule within EPSG has been since relaxed and so we
disregard that aspect of the GeoTIFF specification (which was only an attempt
to describe EPSG behavior).

 >  In no case an EPSG number can be used directly but
> the projection has to be identified in a list and the respective number,
> which is never the same as the EPSG code has to be used.

I'm not sure where you get this information.  The ProjectedCSTypeGeoKey
contains the EPSG PCS code number.  Accepted behavior is to not be concerned
whether the antique GeoTIFF .inc files actually have a corresponding #define
for the code or not.

 > We don't see the
> possibility to set the ProjectedCSTypeGeoKey to any EPSG code.

Well, not *any* EPSG code.  It has to be an EPSG projected coordinate
system code.  But doing so is exactly the accepted practice.

 >  This would
> clearly violate the GeoTiff specs and thus jeopardize any attempt of
> standardisation. Ideally the GeoTiff specs would be amended, but this seems
> a hard thing to do...

Well, I remain confused why you think that.