[Geotiff] Conversion from lat/long to PCS to raster

noelkhan noel.khan at rdmd.ocgov.com
Fri Jan 21 15:39:51 EST 2011

Fernando,

So long as you can get the tie-point and scale info, you probably could use
gdal or libtiff to convert from PCS to Raster space (you would have to
convert LAT/LON to PCS yourself; but that's just algebra).

Conceptually:

1. Convert LAT/LON to UTM to get (Xm,Ym) [see:
http://www.rcn.montana.edu/resources/tools/coordinates.aspx]

2. Get the geotiff's tie-point and scales
    A: ModelTiePointTag: (I,J,0,  Xt,Yt,0)
         ModelPixelScaleTag (Sx,Sy,0)
    B: ModelTransformationTag (d=> Xt, h=>Yt)
         Raster coordinates: I=>0, J=>0

3. Compute Dx,Dy between point (Xt,Yt) and (Xm,Ym)

4. Scale Dx,Dy using Sx,Sy and add raster offset (I,J) to find (I',J')
    I' = I + (Dx * Sx)
    J' = J + (Dy * St)

Regards,
Noel