[ka-Map-dev] Road to version 2

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Sat Mar 24 08:16:34 EST 2007

Paul Spencer wrote:

> Good question.  Does anyone have any opinions on whether ka-Map 1.x
> should be in SVN?  Personally I assumed we would bring everything from
> CVS into SVN (including history).

If we move, then we should move 1.x to SVN as well, even if just to
avoid the confusion of having two repositories.

Here is a possible transition scenario:

1- Give at least a few days of warning to all developers that the
CVS->SVN move is coming so that they have time to plan their work around
the migration, commit any edited file to CVS, etc.

2- Import the current CVS tree (including all history) in SVN

3- Create a 1.x branch in SVN

4- The SVN trunk becomes 2.x

>> Note that I've found out the hard way a few days ago that while SVN
>> maintains history on copied files, you cannot simply "svn update" to
>> any revision of a file if it has moved.
>
> I don't understand ... can you elaborate?

I was trying to checkout a specific version of ogr2ogr.cpp from the GDAL
tree (I think it was r8636), but because the file had moved since that
version, using 'svn update -r 8636 ogr2ogr.cpp' didn't work. With the
help of Mateusz on the #gdal channel we found that the only way to
access the file was 'svn cat -r 8636 ogr2ogr.cpp', which outputs that
revision of the file to stdout, then you have to save that somewhere and
work with it, but cannot "update" to a revision of a file that has been
moved to work on it without checking out the file with its old URL. Oh,
you could do some fancy svn merge magic too but that essentially gave
the same result as svn cat.

I could be wrong, but that was my understanding of the way svn worked in
the end.

> Correct, I did say it wasn't important to me :)  I like the idea of
> using Trac because it tightly integrates into SVN.  I don't mind if the
> history bugs are brought over or not.  Unfortunately only hobu knows how
> to do this, and I think he's pretty busy right now.  If Shawn could do
> it, that would be okay, I can abuse him ;)

If Shawn could do it that would be great.

> I don't want to move the web site or the mailing lists because I think
> we get a lot of benefit from being part of the MapTools community.

Cool.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette