[ka-Map-dev] Ideas for last minute version 1.1 additions

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Sep 17 13:24:40 EDT 2007

Samuel Hiatt wrote:

> Do you have data that would be appropriate as sample data (lightweight
> and queryable)?  I think a map of Italy would be awesome.  :p  If so,
> add it to the CVS and I'll try to smooth out the bumps so it works on a
> clean FGS install.

Well, the GMap demo contains a mapfile and data for Canada and is freely
redistributable. It used to be that ka-Map came preconfigured for use
with GMap out of the box. I haven't checked recently if that has
changed, but if not then you already have a solution, it's just that
GMap is a separate download instead of being bundled with the source.

BTW, as a software developer my 0.02$ is that demo data should ideally
be kept separate from software source code. Yes it's a good thing to
bundle an easy to install demo dataset, but I think it has to remain
possible and easy to get only the software without the demo data.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/