[ka-Map-users] Displaying ka-map images/interface from remote server

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Dec 22 07:48:26 EST 2005

Chris, if I understand your question correctly, I think that what you
want cannot be done without some difficulty.  Please read the
following ... if it's not what you are trying to do, please let me know.

I am assuming you have a site at http://some.server/ and your
mapserver is at http://some.other.server/

Due to security restrictions implemented by browsers to prevent cross-
site scripting attacks and other hacks, the javascript security model
prevents XmlHttpRequest from being able to load from sites that are
not within the same domain as the main page.  Using iframes (an
alternate mechanism to XmlHttpRequest) results in the same problem.

THe one technique that I have found to work around this is to
dynamically create script tags and insert them into the head of the
page.  The script tag can point at a remote server and load
javascript that will be evaluated.  Since ka-Map already returns
javascript via the XmlHttpRequest object, it may be possible to
replace the guts of xhr.js with something that does script tag
injection.

I'm not really willing to make this part of ka-Map, but if you can
get it to work, please document it in Lorenzo's wiki :)