[ka-Map-users] Ka-map!

Ben Nolan ben at ripcord.co.nz
Wed Jul 20 19:44:15 EDT 2005

Hi Paul,

No particular reason I'm not using getCJS, I just disabled it to make my
development environment a bit simpler (less to go wrong) - I haven't
tested on a low b/w connection yet - but I'll probably enable GZIP
compression (either in apache, or via php) at some stage.

Some good javascript programs (stylistically / architecturally) are:

http://prototype.conio.net/
http://script.aculo.us/
http://ripcord.co.nz/behaviour/

And one thing that I think ka-map could benefit from would be more use of

this.someFunction = function(x,y,z){
   return 'blah';
}

My biggest worries about ka-map at the moment are:

[1] The global namespace pollution
[2] Many files
[3] Lots of checks and compatibility for older browsers (I target only
ie6/safari/mozzi myself).

The best thing that we could do with Ka-map would be to replicate the
Google Maps API. That would be an excellent idea (IMHO) and make uptake
of Ka-Maps much easier for hackers.

Regards,
Ben Nolan