[ka-Map-users] Re: [Freegis-list] ka-Map: new open source project

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu May 19 07:38:59 EDT 2005

Radim,

there is no support for anything other than simple navigation and the
tiling mechanism that makes it look cool.  These are features that could
be added, but I am not sure that this would be the right package to
build that kind of functionality on top of.

It is aimed primarily at a certain type of application and is
particularly well suited to a 'location-based-services' type of
application that has static base map information and dynamic point
locations coming from queries etc.

With this in mind, I expect that if it does get used, it will be as a
component inside other packages that provide additional functionality
(like MapBender, MapBuilder, GeoServer, Chameleon etc)

However, I am often suprised with the innovative ideas that come out of
the MapServer community and I am eager to see if there are ways it can
be used that I have not yet anticipated.