[ka-Map-users] Hardware requirements for Ka-Map site

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu May 26 15:02:22 EDT 2005

Mike,

this is a huge can of worms :)

Our maps.dmsolutions.ca server is running a stock intel pc around 3 GHz,
200GB 7200 rpm HD, and a gig or so of ram (maybe more?) with redhat
linux.  Nothing particularly fancy, but reasonably big bandwidth pipe.
This suits our needs but is not really suitable for any serious amount
of traffic (the immediate response from our release peaked the load on
the server quite a bit)

There are several factors to consider:

disk space - tile caching requirements are based on the extents and
scales you will use with your maps, multipled by the number of layers to
serve separately - someone figured out that to cache all tiles at all
scales for continental US (google) was about 21 TB.

This is obviously not practical for most of us, so the tile caching
would need to be dynamic and reasonably fast ... and clean up after
itself (current version doesn't do that).

bandwidth - ka-Map is optimized to put images on the client and leave
them there, but its a big hit the first visit

processor - currently, every move causes an update to the keymap plus
additional tiles ... and when the tiles aren't available, that becomes a
real map draw somewhere ... we figure that we can serve about 3000 users
an hour on our current setup but that would be pushing the processor ...

it really comes down to how you are planning to use it, the amount of
performance you need out of it, number of users etc

Hope this helps ...

Paul