[ka-Map-users] Layer Interaction/Overlays

Moran Ben-David moran at place-base.com
Thu May 26 15:15:21 EDT 2005

Chris this is a great idea.  Especially in my line of work/applications
where we display thematic maps that don't allow even near complete caches of
maps or tiles.  Our work in http://www.dataplace.org
<http://www.dataplace.org/>  (for fannie mae foundation - along with Vinq)
has relied on the simple

1.       check tile cache

2.       generate complete map (with thematic shading and layers)

3.       slice tiles

4.       cache tiles

approach.  Our cache though currently large enough to have some recurring
cache hits, won't be able to be large enough for the future of our app.
That is we want to add more indicators to our system (and thus many more
potential maps being generated).  As well we want to add more complicated
maps and chart shields as labels.   The universe of maps even with Terabyte
drives won't be covered by pre-rendering.

We have been aiming towards a client side rendering solution to increase our
cache hits.  I'm curious, has anyone tried rendering a map with
transparencies created by map server?   I.e. essentially doing what Chris
suggested?  Are the maps as pretty on Firefox (given that IE doesn't support
full alpha-channel usage in PNG's)?

As well, has anyone looked at the approach of actually rendering the layers
(placing them on the map) one by one on the client?  I know this delves into
fattening the client beyond the abilities of javascript, but I'm curious if
this has been discussed in the ka-map group.

Thanks,

Moran Ben-David

Placebase (www.place-base.com)

  _____