[ka-Map-users] Layer Interaction/Overlays

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Sun May 29 21:40:03 EDT 2005

Moran,

Moran Ben-David wrote:
> Chris this is a great idea.  Especially in my line of work/applications
> where we display thematic maps that don’t allow even near complete
> caches of maps or tiles.  Our work in http://www.dataplace.org
> <http://www.dataplace.org/> (for fannie mae foundation – along with
> Vinq) has relied on the simple
>

> 1.       check tile cache
>
> 2.       generate complete map (with thematic shading and layers)
>
> 3.       slice tiles
>
> 4.       cache tiles
>

> approach.  Our cache though currently large enough to have some
> recurring cache hits, won’t be able to be large enough for the future of
> our app.  That is we want to add more indicators to our system (and thus
> many more potential maps being generated).  As well we want to add more
> complicated maps and chart shields as labels.   The universe of maps
> even with Terabyte drives won’t be covered by pre-rendering.
>

> We have been aiming towards a client side rendering solution to increase
> our cache hits.  I’m curious, has anyone tried rendering a map with
> transparencies created by map server?   I.e. essentially doing what
> Chris suggested?  Are the maps as pretty on Firefox (given that IE
> doesn’t support full alpha-channel usage in PNG’s)?

One problem with MapServer is that transparency on layers only works
between layers drawn in the same image ... and MapServer doesn't output
PNGs with alpha channels, just with transparent on/off ... so you really
need to do it the way ka-Map does it now, rendering each layer (or group
of layers) into a separate DIV and then setting the opacity on the DIV
(only Opera doesn't seem to support opacity in the latest browsers)

> As well, has anyone looked at the approach of actually rendering the
> layers (placing them on the map) one by one on the client?  I know this
> delves into fattening the client beyond the abilities of javascript, but
> I’m curious if this has been discussed in the ka-map group.

yep, latest CVS version of ka-Map does this (right now, it renders
groups rather than individual layers).  Also, MapBuilder does this (its
an entirely javascript client based on loading map layers via OGC
services ... pretty cool)

Performance is the big drawback, hence the use of groups to consolidate
as many layers as possible and have only a few separately controllable
layers on the client side.