[ka-Map-users] ka-map with PHP as a CGI vs. DSO?

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Tue May 31 03:39:29 EDT 2005

Hey folks,

  It occured to me, as I watched my processor run near 100% due to a
few ka-map tile requests, that running ka-map with PHP as a CGI might
be a serious liability. In other words, having to start a new process
for each tile is extremely expensive compared to running a persistent
process or daemon.

  Has anyone used Ka-Map with PHP/Mapscript as a DSO? It seems as if
this would speed things up a bit. Is this even possible? There has
been some discussion on the Mapserver list and the consensus is still,
unfortunately, that Apache 2 with PHP DSO is not stable with Mapscipt.
Does anyone's experience prove otherwise??

What are other folks doing to improve ka-map perfomance given the
limitations of CGI?

--
Matt Perry
perrygeo at gmail.com