[ka-Map-users] kaMap's new user

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Oct 17 20:22:03 EDT 2005

Hi Luca,

ka-map doesn't work exactly as you would expect coming from a
strictly mapserver background.

You will need to designate a directory as your cache directory and it
needs to be writable by the web server user.  It does NOT need to be
web-accessible.  ka-Map requests tiles through the tile.php script in
the ka-Map/htdocs directory.  This script checks the cache
directories for an existing image and returns it directly if
possible.  If the image is not in the cache, then it uses mapserver
to generate the image.

The one exception to this is the keymap code which currently uses the
settings for imagepath and imageurl from the map file, but I plan to
change that at some point.

To diagnose the problem, try loading the page in firefox and view
page info, then click the media tab.  You should see a bunch of URLs
pointing to tile.php ... try grabbing one and loading it directly to
see if there are error messages being generated.

Note also that ka-Map is somewhat sensitive to the values you set in
config.php ... i.e. you need to give the correct path to a map file
and useful scale values.