[ka-Map-users] evaluating ka-Map

Charlton Purvis cplist at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 13:38:43 EDT 2005

Hey, Nate and Paul:

> Just so I understand, is this because of the cost of loading all the tiles
> when a layer is toggled on/off, or does it use some kind of optimization
> that depends on static files?

Nate, I've been playing around w/ ka-map lately, and it really is slick.
Paul, please correct me if I'm wrong . . .

If you're serving up a layer via ka-map that is really a WMS layer from
another box, I *think* that ka-map will make n-WMS queries where n is the
number of tiles in your given view.  In other words, I don't *think* that it
makes one WMS query and then divides that image up into tiles.  If that is
the case, then a dependence on a foreign WMS layer might be tricky
performance-wise.

The other question I have is:  Assuming that WMS is OK and that what I
assumed above is way off base, what happens if the WMS layer is real time
weather stuff like Nate is using?  Wouldn't it only query the WMS once to
create the tiles = no real time update w/o doing something fancy on your end
to either clear those from the cache on the hour or tag some kind of
temporal index to each tile?

Thanks, Paul, for such a dynamite product in such a short period of time.

Charlton