[ka-Map-users] Same API, but map images instead of tiles

Delfos, Jacob jacob.delfos at maunsell.com
Sun Sep 18 22:40:40 EDT 2005

Steve,

I can see your point of view, in the sense that when using a few heavy
raster layers, it's easy to get your server overloaded by tile-requests.
But what would such a solution have to improve over Chameleon (and
others), which can be used in an almost no-page-refresh way? Also,
generating and serving out an image as large as a Ka-Map viewport for
every redraw is quite CPU and Bandwidth expensive... The client-side
caching of tiles helps reduce this issue significantly.

But I agree that keeping application development separate from
deployment issues is beneficial.

Regards,

Jacob