[ka-Map-users] Same API, but map images instead of tiles

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Sep 19 00:09:51 EDT 2005

Delfos, Jacob wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I can see your point of view, in the sense that when using a few heavy
> raster layers, it's easy to get your server overloaded by tile-requests.
> But what would such a solution have to improve over Chameleon (and
> others), which can be used in an almost no-page-refresh way? Also,

Simplicity for for one and an application that can be deployed with
either tiles or not depending on the javascript loaded.

> generating and serving out an image as large as a Ka-Map viewport for
> every redraw is quite CPU and Bandwidth expensive... The client-side

I am thinking of generating the image of just the viewed portion of the
viewport because in many applications the user does not need to pan. So
if you user usage patterns are goto location, zoom in, zoom out, zoom
out, pan, zoom in, zoom in, then you are not getting much use of the
cache and you are loading way more tiles into the viewport than 7
mapserver image requests. If you done have the tiles already cached on
the server, you still have to generate them, and bandwidth is higher for
the tiles because of all the non-viewed tiles that are loaded.

It really makes sense for some application but clearly not for all. If
it is just a matter of changing the javascript that is loaded, the it
can be switchable by the user if you want to export the control for that.

Thank you for your comments.

Anyway something to think about,
   -Steve