[ka-Map-users] continuous zoom

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Sun Sep 25 11:14:19 EDT 2005

Peter,

I had thought this to be a feasible solution for some time, until I
saw the Microsoft Virtual Earth implementation of it.

The problem that I see with continuous zoom by scaling the tiles to
fill the scales that aren't tiled is the distortion of features and
labels at the in-between scales.  Roads get thicker (or thinner) and
labels become essentially unreadable.  IMHO it looks terrible and, as
far as I can tell, it doesn't add any value to the end user
experience over appropriately chosen scale breaks.

That being said, I don't think it would be terribly hard to do in ka-
Map, although it may involve some tricky math in the scaling logic.