[ka-Map-users] Color shifts using QUANTIZE_COLORS=256

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Aug 10 12:01:34 EDT 2006

Palettes, as computed in the MapServer 3.x series, were used to
initialize 8-bit
images. That was pre-24-bit support and I don't think would be helpful
in the
24-bit to 8-bit conversion.

If you were to use a pre-computed palette then you wouldn't need to
quantitize
since a color map is the output of that process. You would just need to
filter the
24-bit data through the map (with gdImageColorClosest or whatever) to
arrive
at an 8-bit image.

I have used ImageMagick to do something like that years ago. I took a
representative
24-bit image and used ImageMagick to convert to 8-bit (which it does
nicely) then
use that color map with the convert command (the -map option) to
process the rest
of the files. At the end they all had the same color map.

So my idea would be to support a PALETTE like that (instead of
quantitizing)...

Steve

>>> Paul Spencer <pspencer at dmsolutions.ca> 08/10/06 7:33 AM >>>
Steve and Steve :)

what would it take to get the PALETTE option implemented (perhaps for

5.0?) and supported in the quantization code?

ImageMagick does do this very well.  I would assume that AGG could do

the same, and likely much faster than ImageMagick (which appears to
be 2-5 times slower).