[ka-Map-users] ka-map medium term future

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Thu Aug 10 19:00:46 EDT 2006

Stephen mail let me think that maybe it's time to look further...

Once ka-map will have its stable version 1.x we'll have to think a
lot  about ka-map/openLayers merging.

More than this, times will be mature to spend some efforts to create
an osGeo AJAX web mapping system.
This, I guess, will means many things:
1) which projects will want to merge?  how to manage this?
2) will it be a good idea to start a new project from scratch? If
yes, who will manage it?
3) will osGeo let us do whatever we have in mind?
4) who? when? how? ecc.

I think it will be important to create a modular system.
I like openLayers code but it's just a starting point for a client
side solution.
what about the server part?
Ka-map has, as far as I know, the only robust tile caching system.
But it can be better...
Steve Lime was commenting something about this.

Ka-map client features are not so bad  :-)   but there are a lot of
good clients.
Many efforts have been doubled until now and this has its historical
reasons.

having a unique set of module to manage and develop could be a dream
both for users and developers
it will be important to avoid it becoming just a nightmare

Hope there will be time to discuss this at Lausanne.
Does anybody know if we can ask for a conference on this issue?
well. more than a conference it should be a debate...

ciao
Lorenzo