[ka-Map-users] Ballistic Zoom / Continuos Zoom

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Thu Aug 31 05:54:34 EDT 2006

> Hi,

Hi Jerome

> How can i help you in debugging ?

that's a good question.
Depending on your skills you can help on:

-) trying the application, navigating randomly, and see if some
strange effects arise.
Many times developers try application improvements but forget to use
them as a newcomer does. Some times it's even impossible for a
developer to see his work from a different point of view because he's
so deeply involved in its code.

-) commenting, strong of your navigation experience, about the
"feeling" this effect offers and if it can be refined.
This seems a banal issue but it's absolutely not. An effect like
continuos zoom has to be felt by the user as "natural".  The time
between two different steps of the zoom, the number of steps, and the
value of the zoom factor between a step and another may change a lot
the perception.
The User feeling is the most important thing when you're programming
GUIs (Graphic User Interfaces).

-) looking at the code, if you have programming skills, and see where
something can be changed to do a better job.
The code is actually completely client side, this is not a secret. If
you know where to put you hands you can replicate this application on
your computer and try to customize it.

We are developing the click&zoom in this moment and any suggestion
and comment on this issue is welcome.
 From the developer side, programming free software has, between
others, the benefit of direct community support. If this support is
lacking we'll start doing like "non free" patented software where
you'll never know how the application is developed and bugs are
fixed. From the other side we'll always force the community to stay
behind our choices. This doesn't mean that I'll do whatever you'll
suggest but this surely let me think and maybe change my mind.

If the community likes this new features you'll see them in future
releases of ka-Map.

ciao
Lorenzo