[ka-Map-users] Calculating number of tiles in cache

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Feb 2 11:50:14 EST 2006

Shoaib,

the maximum size of the tile cache for a given kaMap installation
could be calculated from:

total = 0
for each map file
{
     for each scale
     {
         for each separate group in the map file
         {
              convert geographic extents to pixels at this scale
              divide width and height by tile width and height
              multiple number of tiles wide by high
              add to total
         }
     }
}

Tile size on disk depends on output format generally, and also on
image complexity in compressed formats like PNG.  You'll probably
need to do a random sampling at each scale to get a good average