[ka-Map-users] Calculating number of tiles in cache

Adair, Mike Mike.Adair at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Feb 3 10:31:05 EST 2006

Paul, Shoaib,

Maybe this will help? From Mapbuilder, lib/tool/Extent.js:

var Rearth = 6378137.0;                 // Radius of the earth (sphere);
different from Proj value?
var degToMeter = Rearth*2*Math.PI/360;
var mbScaleFactor = 3571.428   //magic number, for Geoserver SLD
compatibility
                               // 1/0.00028 (0.28 mm "is a common actual
size for
                               // contemporary display" as written in the
SLD specification ...

  /**
   * Returns the map scale denominator for the current extent resolution
   * @return map scale denominator
   */
  this.getScale = function() {
    var pixRes = null;
    switch(this.model.getSRS()) {
      case "EPSG:4326":				//all projection codes in
degrees
      case "EPSG:4269":
        pixRes = this.res[0]*degToMeter;
        break;
      default:                //all projection codes in meters
        pixRes = this.res[0];
        break;
    }
    return mbScaleFactor*pixRes;
  }

Where this.res[0] is the pixel resolution in meters.

Mike