[ka-Map-users] kaXmlOverlay not working..

Chris Tweedie Chris.Tweedie at dli.wa.gov.au
Sun Feb 5 23:46:54 EST 2006

All good points Steve, and I sympathise with PG with all the problems in
how to actually deploy overlays. (Down here, we like to say that there's
many ways to skin a cat)

I think your method of trying to work with sessions and dynamically
creating a new layer object in the mapfile would become bigger than ben
hur, especially when you have a multi-user environment. The hit
computing the route on every zoom/pan, and also incorporating the layer
as a non-tiled object in kamap would need further customisation.

In an ideal environment the work flow I would see as being ideal would
be

1. User inputs From/To address using mouse / form input in the kamap
window.

2. A php function is called to locate the closest road vertex to the
parameters (eg. nearest graph edge to Point X,Y) and extracts the
necessary edge ID's

3. The function then passes the start/end edge ID through to the DB
retrieval, whereby the pgdjikstra geometry function is called based on
the start/end edge.

4. The geometry output is then passed to the GD rendering of the PNG
output

4. Kamap then positions the image overlay to the necessary location.

There are a few things that need to be ironed out however,

a. How the drawing function tracks the current user extents, cell size
etc. Ideally the image (and relevant calls) should only be made once at
each zoom level, just positioned according to location. This reduces any
overhead recalculating the cords ... this would also need a pseudo
geo2pix function.

b. The line simplification really needs to be looked into. In just a few
examples I used on my roads dataset, a simple route pulled back over a
thousand points ... something which the current setup passing params in
a URL just wont/cant handle. Users should only need this level of detail
at a very small scale ... how this would work though, im yet to figure
out (see blog)

This in my eyes, just seems simpler but please tell me if I am viewing
this in tunnel vision. Look forward to PG's comments :)

Regards,

Chris.