[ka-Map-users] Controlling the number of points using addObjectGeo

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Feb 28 07:56:05 EST 2006

Chris,

the number of tiles loaded by ka-Map is limited to the number needed
to fill the viewport plus a small buffer.  This is typically between
16 and 36 depending on the size of the viewport (per group).  These
images are just re-used when the user pans and the image sizes never
change, even when you zoom so its pretty efficient.  Using
addObjectGeo creates a new DOM element every time (img, div) and
positions it over the map images.  This can be very efficient for a
small number of objects (less than a couple of hundred) but I would
imagine it would get pretty bad for many images both in loading and
in the responsiveness of the browser when dragging.

If you really have a lot of data, you might want to consider using
Lorenzo's stuff or possibly Tim's.  Both are looking at ways of
incorporating realtime data into a single tiled layer by having the
layer rendered on the server side, thus avoiding this problem of
addObjectGeo.

Alternately you could limit the results returned to a set number, or
only turn on the display of the points when the user zooms to a scale
that makes it sensible to display them in this way.