[ka-Map-users] Precaching w/ labels

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Thu Jul 6 18:08:44 EDT 2006

Hello Paul,

thanks for your quick resonse.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:05:16 -0400 Paul Spencer
<pspencer at dmsolutions.ca> wrote:

> Stephan,
>
> ka-Map uses a couple of tricks:
>
> * draw large maps and slice up into smaller tiles (and cache on disk
> so we only do it once)

this is nice. I basically only want to create these tiles for use in
another application.

> * use a buffer around each larger map draw to clean up edge effects
> and prevent labels from appearing too close to each other.
>
> You can set up mapserver as a WMS client to use in drawing the
> tiles, but this may have the unexpected side effect of having sliced
> labels near the edge of each of the larger tiles

I was thinking about the exact problems about sliced labels at the
tile-borders. So it is true that the labels are sliced and this can be
seen when the tiles are drawn near to each other?

anyway, I think I am at the point to give it a try and test the
pretiling stuff with a sample mapfile.

Best regards

	Stephan