[ka-Map-users] mapabstraction

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jun 14 10:15:01 EDT 2006

Paul Spencer wrote:
> I just looked through the mapstraction api posted below.  Its pretty
> simplistic and I don't see any problems supporting it in kaMap.  There
> are a couple of differences that we would need to make a decision on how
> we would support it:
>
> zoom levels:
>
> ka-Map uses a fixed set of scales per map and zooms using the actual
> scale value rather than the index.  This should not be difficult to
> support.
>
> mapstraction defines specific values for vector, satellite and hybrid
> maps.  Not sure how to handle this since ka-Map is more-or-less
> different for every installation.

One thought is to collaborate with the mapstraction guys to come up with
a better abstraction because I would think that they would value
bringing all the ka-map applications under their wings also.

Another idea would be to have users classify, as best they can, their
maps or layers to the vector, satellite and hybrid model, maybe using
metadata. I haven't looked at how they are using that feature internally
within the api, other than to do that obvious.

-Steve

> Cheers
>
> Paul
>

> On 13-Jun-06, at 8:45 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>
>> Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
>>> Stephen this seems a good idea but:
>>> -> NB:- Our API isn't fixed yet, don't complain if things change
>>> quickly.
>>> neither ka-map is stable so it would be better to fix both APIs and
>>> then try to connect.
>>> If I've understood how it works, it would be nice to use it to create
>>> a layer or more in ka-map ...
>>> is there anybody who wants to try?
>>> did you find the license?
>>
>> From http://www.mapstraction.com/svn/mapstraction.com/mapstraction.js
>>
>> // (C) 2006 Tom Carden, Steve Coast - mapstraction.com
>> // please contact me if you are interested in using this code right now.
>> // It will be better soon, and licensed open source.
>> // (this is a proof of concept lunchtime hack, and therefore subject
>> to radical change at any time!)
>> // TC (tom at tom-carden.co.uk) 13:27 10/04/2006
>>
>> So probably email to Tom to resolve and issues or concerns.
>>
>> -Steve
>>
>>> ciao
>>> Lorenzo