[ka-Map-users] ka-Map and OpenLayers

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jun 20 15:56:05 EDT 2006

 From my initial review of the code base and project objectives, I
feel that it offers a cleaner code base and architecture.  It is more-
or-less what I would do with the ka-Map code base if I wrote it.

The differences are more in the project objectives.  One of these is
to be able to integrate Google, VirtualEarth, Yahoo and other
commercial/free tiles without violating their terms of use.  The end
result is that the application adapts to the limitations of an
existing set of tiles (tile sizes, projection etc).  It is then
possible to build overlays that morph based on the underlying layer
source.  I'm not sure this is a big priority for me, but it does make
the API itself more compelling I think.

I'm not sure that I have described this very well.  Perhaps John
could explain this concept better (since he was the one who explained
it to me :))

John and I agreed that the projects should merge.  He/OpenLayers are
willing to start from ka-Map and integrate the OpenLayers stuff if
necessary.  I just feel that it would be easier to move the ka-Map
code into OpenLayers rather than the other way around.

One big disadavantage to the ka-Map community is that the API will
change.  We may be able to provide a compatibility API but I think
that would be more work than it would to help people convert their apps.

Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to develop a Google API
clone (something I have been against previously), which could make
OpenLayers a compelling environment for existing Google-hackers plus
give them the option to move from Google in the future if the terms
of use/ads become cumbersome?