[ka-Map-users] ka-Map and OpenLayers

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Jun 21 08:04:15 EDT 2006

Steve Lime wrote:

> One thought might be to look at tile-caching as a part of MapServer proper.
> Other projects (GeoServer, MapGuide, etc...) could follow suit... That could
> provide a clean break between client and server.

I think I'd rather see tile caching as a layer on top of MapServer and
possibly other servers instead of embedding it in MapServer, and let
MapServer concentrate on what it's best at: render high quality maps.

A simple way to achieve that would be to modify ka-Map's tile.php to
issue WMS GetMap requests instead of calling MapScript's $map->draw()
when rendering metatiles. This would allow plug and play integration
with any WMS server.

Down the road I think tile caching needs to become more advanced than
just the current tile.php and might need to become a beast in itself
that comes with its own http server (or as a fcgi or Apache module), at
that point, tight integration inside MapServer would probably make even
less sense.

Just my 0.02$

Daniel

Daniel Morissette