[ka-Map-users] ka-Map and OpenLayers

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jun 21 08:18:12 EDT 2006

Jacob,

I would retain the tile creation/caching mechanism (and actually have
plans to improve it somewhat), either as part of OpenLayers or as a
separate project.  This would still be directly dependent on
MapServer, although as I mentioned to Steve, MapGuide also supports
tile creation and caching.  Geoserver and Deegree might follow suit
if we can provide a convincing standards-based API that they can
support, which would mean that all the major open source map-
producing engines would serve cached tiles in the same way.

Concerning the code, I think that most of the core engine would be
discarded, except for the optimizations for the optimizations for
reusing images when panning.  As you point out, this was a fair
amount of effort.  However, at this point I am mostly convinced that
the core of OpenLayers works in the same fashion and so its not
really discarding it as much as avoiding extra work re-writing it
into a better architecture :)

There is quite a bit of the ka-Map code that would be retained in my
world :)  This would be most of the extra stuff around the core API,
including most of the work done by Pg, Andrea and Lorenzo.  This
would include the UI elements, overlay stuff, etc.  Most of this code
won't need substantial changes to work with OpenLayers (I hope/expect).

Overall, I would expect this merger to produce a more solid code base
that combines the best of both projects, has a bigger developer and
user community and sees wider recognition as an OSGeo project (my
ultimate goal :)).