[ka-Map-users] ka-Map and OpenLayers

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jun 21 12:28:02 EDT 2006

Hi Paul,

This is very interesting! I finally had a few minutes to skim over the
openlayers.org site (I probably did not do it justice and will read more
later).

I think Steve L. question of what is the benefit is a good one. I can
see a lot of work ahead for the developers to convert to prototype.js
that you might want to avoid, which is not a bad thing. Also combining
efforts might be good also.

I think the pain for existing users might be might be very high, and
ka-map might just end up forking and taking on a life of its own.

Is getting support for mapguide in ka-map play any part of the driver
for this?

In general, I think a lot of the effort that has been going into ka-map
is to make it more modular, which is a very good thing. It is also very
good that that this effort has been happening with new feature
development. I would hate for this to stop or even backup to get it
integrated into openlayers.

Do you have a sense for how long it would take to integrate and get back
to current functionality?

Do you have a sense for how long it would take to integrate prototype.js
into ka-map? or some other appropriate library?

The article the Aaron post leaves me a little concerned about using
prototype.js. Does this concern anyone else? How has openlayers dealt
with this problem.

Schuyler, thanks for your post, that answer a lot of additional questions.

-Steve