[ka-Map-users] scalebar question 1cm = 1km?

Tim Schaub tim at commenspace.org
Wed Jun 21 16:17:48 EDT 2006

Hey Donal-

MapServer assumes a monitor resolution of 72 dpi by default (so this is
what the scale bar assumes by default).  This is seldom correct.  The
upshot is that the scale ratio (1:1000000) is seldom correct.  However,
this doesn't really matter unless you advertise the scale ratio and a
client with a non 72 dpi monitor takes out a ruler.

There are two things that you can do if this bothers you.
1) Guess at your client's resolution and modify the scale bar's
resolution property (myScaleBar.resolution = 96).
2) Don't tell anybody what the scale ratio of your map is, and rely on
the scale bar for relating display distances to map distances.

Since people always toss around numbers like 1:250000 for map scales, it
might be disappointing to hear that these numbers aren't generally
accurate for monitor displays (since there is not a reliable way for the
server to know the client's screen resolution ahead of time).  This is
why I think it's better to rely on a scale bar than a numeric scale.

Tim