[ka-Map-users] Ka-Map and OpenLayers

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jun 22 12:58:00 EDT 2006

Thanks Justin,

I'm starting to formulate a desired approach in my head as I go over
all the great feedback that folks have been providing.

I think it is critical to move quickly in some areas and slowly in
others.  There are folks out there with a significant investment in
ka-Map (myself included) and we can't abandon our work quickly.  On
the other hand, we can start to move parts of ka-Map into the
OpenLayers architecture and learn how to use it.

I see the migration happening in several parts, more-or-less as you
have laid it out in fact:

1) ka-Map's tile cache (which is now actually done by Chris)

2) ka-Map's core api differences (improvements to the tiling engine)

3) ka-Map's API (tools, overlay etc)

4) ka-Map's UI components

1) and 2) can be done with no real impact on either community
(hopefully)

3) and 4) are trickier since OpenLayers already has some of this and
we'll have to make decisions on what to move over.

I'm keen to generate more momentum for ka-Map and OpenLayers as a
joint project, but the reality is that it will take some time to get
there.