[ka-Map-users] Map Query

David William Bitner bitner at gyttja.org
Fri Jun 23 10:36:44 EDT 2006

Steve --

Did you see this example?

http://kappa.gonfi.org/ka-map-query/htdocs/index_query.html

Not quite the same as it creates a tiled layer with the query results that
you can zoom/pan just like everything else, but IMHO a better way for
showing query results as it's a bit more 'sticky'.

The valuable application for the approach that you're talking about would be
to zoom to an area and then use a single, size-of-the-viewport map for time
sensitive data.  Think: zoom to an area and then have a weather radar that
auto-refreshed every so many seconds.

db

On 6/23/06, Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:

> Sure, I'll have a go. One question that is sort of related. It is possible
> to overlay
> an map generated at the same scale/cellsize as the viewport contents, but
> arbitrary
> size? You'd know the extent so presumably you'd know where to place the
> overlay.
>
> The reason I ask is that it might be a slick way to hilite a feature. For
> example, you
> could have MapServer or whatever generate a small map with the feature
> hilited and
> then use it as an acetate.
>
> Steve

> Steve,
>
> this seems like it would be good to put in the wiki at http://ka-
> map.ominiverdi.org/wiki/index.php/Query
>
> I copied/pasted your response there but it is lacking some details.
> Could you edit the page and include details on hooking up the ka-Map
> side of things as well.
>
> This would be portable to the OpenLayers stuff too so I think its
> worth the effort to document how to do it
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul
>
> On 22-Jun-06, at 1:22 PM, Steve Lime wrote:
>
> > Have you installed the stock mapserver demo? It shows you how to do
> > a simple query pretty easily. Here's another example from a site here:
> >
> >   http://maps/cgi-bin/mapserv46?map=/usr/local/www/docs_maps/
> > mapserver_demos/tests46/query/test.map&program=/cgi-bin/
> > mapserv46&htmlroot=/mapserver_demos/tests46&map_web_imagepath=/usr/
> > local/www/docs_maps/tmp/&map_web_imageurl=/tmp/
> >
> > The mapfile and template file are available.
> >
> > The idea is pretty straight forward, there are 2 steps:
> >
> > 1) author a template file
> >
> > Although typically HTML files you can return XML or whatever. For
> > example,
> > if you have a DBF file with 3 attributes ITEM1, ITEM2 and ITEM3
> > then a template
> > might look like:

> >     <li> item 1 is [ITEM1]
> >     <li> and item 2 is [ITEM2]
> >     <li> but item 3 is [ITEM3]
> >
> > 2) reference the template in the LAYER
> >
> > Typically that means adding the line:
> >
> >   TEMPLATE 'mytemplate.html'
> >
> > to the mapfile.
> >
> > In my ka-map example all I am doing is using ka-map properties to
> > make standard query calls to MapServer...
> >
> > Steve

> > Steve,
> >
> > I'm fully lost in the query side of things (after being fully lost
> > virtually everywhere else...) is there a snippet of the mapfile
> > that you
> > could send back that would show how you setup the mapfile to pass the
> > query event.  The code below makes total sense, I just can't
> > connect the
> > dots between clicking the "i" icon in ka-map and firing the jscript
> > snippet below, my thought is that it's a mapfile setup thing that I'm
> > not understanding
> >
> > Any help appreciated

> [...]

David William Bitner
bitner at gyttja.org