[ka-Map-users] Re: Partial labels

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Mar 21 16:17:42 EST 2006

Hi Ramesh,

The root of the problem is that mapserver renders stuff right up to
the edge of the map.  To fix rendering issues with thick lines using
'circle' symbol (for instance), we have to render a slightly bigger
image and clip out the center of it to get lines to match up (among
other things).  This causes a problem with point symbols and labels
that are rendered close to the edge of the map.  In MapServer 4.6,
metadata was introduced to prevent text and symbols rendering too
close to the edge of the map.  This is controlled in ka-Map's
config.php file with $metaBuffer (default 10 pixels).

MapServer 4.6 (final) should have support for the metadata that
supposedly fixes this problem.  However, I have seen some examples of
places where the label does get vertically or horizontally clipped at
a tile boundary.  I can't reliably reproduce the problem so it is
hard to fix.

Do you have a small dataset that I could use to reproduce the problem
with a copy of your configuration?

You can use the gimp to capture screenshots in linux.  There are
probably a ton of other ways.