[ka-Map-users] tiling print service (WMS)

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at xs4all.nl
Wed May 10 07:51:34 EDT 2006

Hi list,

can the ka-map tiling logic be used to create a WMS print service?

Imagine our use case, people wanting to print on A0 paper from ArcGIS, and
ArcGIS has a WMS layer for aerial photographs in it. Ofcourse normal WMS
services limit themselves to 2048x2048 pixels like Mapserver does. But
ArcGIS requests an image of about 15000 pixels wide.

If a tiling php script could act as WMS service, and would ask for
2048x2048 tiles to the aerial photograph WMS, and stream that back to the
client (ArcGIS), it could be a solution. Could ka-map be used for this?
Would it be a lot of work?

Also, is it possible to stream back the whole 15000x15000 pixels image
without taking the whole thing in memory? I.e. could the script read up
the tiles from disk and stream them sequentially into 1 image?

Thanks in advance for some thoughts on this.

Best regards,
Bart