[ka-Map-users] kaXmlOverlay performance problem

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Tue May 30 17:16:21 EDT 2006

Hi all,
as PG says no implementations of vector objects drawing on ka-map
could be yet valuable.

We are trying two different ways:

1) vector graphics -> that's PG way. Problems are strongly related on
cross browsers compatibilty. No vector implementation is really
mature in modern browsers without using plugins (es: adobe SVG
plugin). In this situation it's hard to create an interface that
calls different implementation depending on browser type and version.
Moreover, early experiments show a memory problem in most browsers.
Anyway, the work PG is doing is absolutely relevant, everybody is
dreaming to manage vectorial objects over ka-map (me too!). I'll be
pleased to see a stable version as soon as possible.

2) raster graphics -> the way I and Andrea took. The idea is to
transform vector objects in a new ka-map layer as ka-map does for
every layer. That's done, as usual, server side. What's new is the
possibility to do it, and redo it,  on the fly and treat this as a
normal layer (opacity, visibility, ecc.). It's not as spectacular as
vector drawing but it works. Early tests are interesting. There's
something more going on, hope to present this job very soon.

ciao
Lorenzo