[ka-Map-users] Repeated labels on a polygon layer

David Badke dbadke at uvic.ca
Wed May 31 15:09:54 EDT 2006

I have a map with two polygon layers. Two other annotation layers label
the polygons. This all works, except that the labels repeat - each
polygon has the same label, in different places, two or more times. In
some cases one of the repeated labels isn't even on the polygon, and
none of the labels are where I wanted them (POSITION UL). I have tried
changing the annotation layers to point or polygon layers - doesn't
help. The layer data is all in shapefiles (except the base layer).

So is this a ka-Map problem, a MapServer problem, a data problem, my
problem, or what? Anyone have any idea how to make it stop doing this?

You can see an example at

http://vihistory-dev.uvic.ca/maps/htdocs/index.php?map=vicstreet1902

Zoom in to 50% (the middle block in the zoom widget).

The  map file for this is:

 MAP
  NAME "vicstreet1902"
  STATUS ON
  EXTENT 0 -7452 7334 0
  SIZE 7334 7452
  SHAPEPATH "/workspace/imap/user/data/"
  IMAGETYPE PNG
  IMAGECOLOR 156 170 177
  UNITS INCHES
  FONTSET "/workspace/imap/user/font/fontset.fnt"
  SYMBOLSET "/workspace/imap/user/symbol/generic.sym"
  REFERENCE
    STATUS ON
    IMAGE "/workspace/imap/user/data/vicstreet1902key.png"
    SIZE 300 305
    EXTENT 0 -7452 7334 0
    COLOR 255 255 255
    OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0