[ka-Map-users] precache

David Gaarsoe dgaarsoe at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 20:30:35 EST 2006

I've been playing with precache.php this week and have tips for Ana and a question of my own.

My question:
How do I pass map extents into precache.php?   By default it wants to precache everything, which is not practical for the volume of map data I have.    I'm using Openlayers to clip the end users map to a subset of the Mapserver map file coverage.   Now I want to precache my data to match.   Any suggestions on how to approach this problem?
Regarding Ana's post,
If you are getting a visible map, you have a valid tile.php and config.php.   Change your precache.php to reference the config.php that works.   Otherwise, edit your config.php or precache.php and fix the line with " $szPHPMapScriptModule = 'php_mapscript_46.'.PHP_SHLIB_SUFFIX;" to match the ".dll" or ".so" file in your mapserver distribution.   If using ms4w, you can find the relevant file in ms4w\Apache\php\ext.One of the most critical pieces to getting started with this stuff was learning to directly load "tile.php" in the browser.   When I had a php syntax error or map configuration problem, this was how I could see a human readable error message.When I started using precache.php with ms4w on windows, it took me a while to figure out that I had to copy \ms4w\proj to \proj to get it work.   precache.php would not respect or use the PROJ_LIB environment variable as advertised.----- Original Message ----