[ka-Map-users] Future of ka-map?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Dec 26 10:57:01 EST 2007

Hi all,

I think that the primary development effort has moved over to
OpenLayers.org This is a Javascript Web 2 library that has a very active
development, it supports tiled mapping like ka-map, but support many
more tile data providers. You can continue to use the tile.php to
provide your tiles. I also has a very active development community.

While it is my believe that ka-map will continue to be around for a
while and developers will support it, you are unlikely to see any/much
major development of this code base.

I would strongly recommend that you review OpenLayers and if you do not
find it a good fit, then post a message to the OpenLayers list. Many of
us that started on ka-map have migrated our applications and have been
very happy with the support we have gotten from the list and the rich
features that have been made available in OpenLayers.

Of course there is no reason to move a complete running application
unless you are looking at doing some additional major development, then
you need to weigh the cost of migrating and developing in the new
environment vs just continuing in the ka-map environment. This was an
easy decision for most of us, and we moved to OpenLayers, but only you
know the specifics of your situation.

Best regards,
   -Stephen Woodbridge